Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 29 September 2014

Flowers that bloom in the red rock of Mount Augustus, Western Australia

Regular readers of my blog will know that life has changed for me over the last couple of months in a way that was totally unexpected, and my blogging has been a little erratic.

In July we set off on a camping holiday into the Pilbara region of Western Australia. If you missed the last post back in August you can catch up by clicking here - Pilbara-camping-part-3

For those of you who have been waiting patiently out there in blogland for me to continue writing about our trip, thank you so much for being patient. As promised I'm back!

Please click on read more to keeping reading and seeing more!



Mt Augustus or Burringurrah as it is know by the local Wadjari indigenous people, is the world's largest monolith, twice the size of central Australia's Uluru. Eight kilometres long, it rises 715 metres out of the red stony sand plain of arid shrubland.  The granite rock that lies beneath Mount Augustus is 1,650 million years old. If you are coming down from Tom Price as we did, the view above is what you can see from Yallowerie Hill Lookout only a few kilometres from Mt Augustus. The view was certainly impressive, but we didn't delay long looking at the view. We wanted to be down there within the view. 

And anyway a hot shower was waiting for us at the Mount Augustus Outback Tourist Park which is located just outside the boundary of the park and where we would be staying for the next few days.  How do you like our view? The pic below was taken at sunrise which accounts for the redness of Mt Augustus. We were amazed to see the expanse of grass and the shady trees in the caravan park.  There are powered sites, which we had, and unpowered sites a little further off in the shrub, where you can pick your own spot to set up.


After setting up, I hightailed it over to the showers - my goodness that hot shower and hair washing felt amazing after being several days without a hot shower. After lunch and some clothes washing we chatted to the camp hosts from the Department of Parks and Wildlife about the bush walking trails around Mt Augutus and then decided to go out to Goolinee (Cattle Pool) to do the easy Corella Trail walk along the river, and to watch the sunset from there as it had been recommended as great viewing. It sounded like a relaxing way to end our day.



Taking photos of wildflowers is always a major part of my travels. It is amazing that wildflowers can bloom in this hot arid rocky landscape where summer temperatures are well over 40 degrees Celsius.  

These pink flowers below are all members of the Mulla Mulla family. They are my favourite Pilbara wildflowers - when I see them I know I am in the Pilbara. Here they are flowering at the base of Mt Augustus.




I hope you have enjoyed this introduction to Mt Augustus and a look at some of the local wildflowers.  I will be back next week when I will write about camping and bush walking in Mt Augustus National Park. But I can't leave without showing you that sunset view from Goolinee (Cattle Pool). What a wonderful way to end a hot and dusty day on the road. 


Thanks for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. Have a wonderful week.

I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photos Monday, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World, Travel Photo Thursday, and What's It Wednesday.  Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday


You might also like -

Pilbara-camping-in-Karijini-National-Park
Karijini-camping-part-2
Pilbara-camping-part-3


24 comments:

  1. Indeed a gorgeous sunset worth sharing, and I am interested in your native wildflowers. I look forward to more of your trip Jill, thank you for linking to Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, the lavender dipped flowers are just beautiful. I noticed them right away over at Mosiac Monday and then knew they your photography. Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always beautiful photos and a lovely narrative to explain them. I've been thinking of you Jill and hope you are managing to get back on track a bit. I know - 'been there, done that' - that it can take awhile. Hugs to you~

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious place...so much color in the sky and land and then to see those beautiful delicate wildflowers...stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous campsite Jill. I can't wait to read more about Mt Augustus National Park and I am pleased you are back to blogging about your trips. Wonderful wildflowers!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, what a gorgeous sunset.. And the wildflowers are just beautiful. Lovely images..Thanks for sharing your campsite and travels.. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jill, glad to see you back. Though I'll understand if you find yourself retreating every now and then. It's part of the process. Thinking of you, my dear.
    Anyway, Burringurrah (I like that name better than Mt. Augustus) is so amazing. I guess I have to see it for myself to completely appreciate its immensity. I love the view from your camp. Love love that photo of the monolith with the pink flowers on the foreground. Simply stunning. And of course, all your flowers shots do not fail to bring smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Just Beautiful. :)
    Spring in Australia and Fall in the North.
    http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2014/09/kaleidoscopes-part-3-fall-colors.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Mt Augustus looks a bit like Uluru and those wildflowers are absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the makeup of the two rocks is different - Uluru is a more like bare solid rock, whereas Mt Augustus is more conglomerate rock (or more correctly asymmetrical anticline) with plants growing on it (more about next post!). But yes equally impressive. The walk around Uluru is about 10km whereas the drive around the base of Mt Augustus is 49kms.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful shots of the scenery and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An amazing picture series! Love the tent in the wild, and I remember hot showers after days on the road - sounds perfect! I would love to see these places, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful color in the wonderful wildflowers. Amazing scenery. Isn't a hot shower wonderful?!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, beautiful flowers...those pink ones especially just tickle my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for stopping by wonderful readers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The shots are all so vibrant--really stunning. That rocky plain is unlike anything I have seen before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is amazing how such delicate wildflowers can grow in this harsh environment

      Delete
  16. Oh I do love those flowers and especially the palest of pinks, so wonderful and to be able to see so many flowers, how great is that treat. Thinking good thoughts in your direction at all times Jill~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are so lucky over here in Western Australia Mary with the abundance of wildflowers - simply stunning. Thank you for the good thoughts.

      Delete
  17. Love your sunset shot, but of course you are a master at capturing the delicacy of WA's beautiful wildflowers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah yes well, wildflowers, what a wonderful place Western Australia is for wildflowers. I love it when I have time to indulge my passion

      Delete
  18. So wild and so beautiful...!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How is it that I've heard so much about Uluru, but this is the first I've heard of Mount Augustus. It's very impressive in size, and I like how it practically glows in certain light. The contrast of the delicate flowers and that pool in an area that seems so rugged is striking. It is good to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That place looks amazing! I love wild flowers... and I love taking pics of them wherever I go. Some are probably not "wild," but I call all of them wild when I don't know their names, haha!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.